PhD Logistics & Supply Chain Management
What is Logistics & Supply Chain Management?
- Logistics is the process / chain management of transport flow and the storage of goods and services from its origin to it consumptions.
- It includes both inbound & outbound movements.
- Supply Chain Management (SCM) is the oversight of materials, information, and finances as they move in a process from supplier to manufacturer to wholesaler to retailer to consumer.
- SCM involves coordinating and integrating these flows both within and among companies with the objective of making products available when needed.
- The global logistics industry is valued at US$ 8.1 trillion & will grow to US$ 15.5 trillion by 2023.
- The U.S., which contributes to over 25% of the global industry value, spends close to 9% of its GDP on logistic services.
- The sector currently employs over 40 million people in the world.
- Indian logistics market to double by 2020.
- Indian Logistics industry would need 28.4 million skilled people in the “Senior Resource Category” in warehouse management by 2022
- Technological change in the logistics industry demands a trained workforce in all areas of the sector.
- Indian logistics industry is at an inflection point and will reach a market size of over $125 billion in coming years.
PhD Logistics Management
Researchers have numerous area of research to choose from Logistics Field. The PhD opens up the possibilities for the student to take up suitable teaching assignments as well as senior positions which get opened up for the student in the Logistics Industry.
Subsequently, the Researcher has to identify a guide / mentor and work with the mentor to develop a synopsis which if accepted by the research committee becomes the topic of the thesis. The thesis & PhD have to be done in accordance with the UGC guidelines 2009 (these are available on the UGC website). The Researcher must meet with the guide regularly at least once a week. The minimum period of time for the thesis to be completed is 3 years but the student can take more time for which an additional fee is payable. The thesis is to be presented to the research committee & defended Researcher has the possibility of suggesting a guide but the guide has to be approved by the University and must meet the norms specified by UGC.
Logistics & SCM - Successful career options in all “Key Business Functions”
Aspirants to join Research Organizations, Logistics Industry Associations, Logistics Councils, Consultancies, Strategic Planning and so on
Candidates need to fill the application form to appear for online test. The admission process is fairly detailed & followed by Group Discussion and Personal Interview conducted by ILAM.
Master’s Degree in any stream with min 55%.